Thursday, November 12, 2015

White Chicken chili




It finally turned crisp and cool here in San Antonio!!! I was so excited that I busted out the christmas decor. No really I did.. but I will save that for another post. I checked the weather app on my phone and saw that the low was going to be 50 degrees so I pulled out my crockpot and that was that :) My white chicken chili is perfect for a crisp fall evening.. the crockpot does all the work during the day so that when dinner time comes you can pull on your cozy sweats and grab a bowl of steamy hot chili. Sounds perfect!!!


Ingredients:

  • Three cans of white beans: I normally choose Cannelini, Northern Beans, and Butter beans
  • One small can of hatch green chills
  • chicken broth
  • one half chopped yellow onion
  • Three cooked chicken breasts ( or a deboned rotisserie chicken works nicely too)
  • one small poblano pepper diced 
  • cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, paprika, chilli powder
  • fresh cilantro chopped rough
  • sour cream
  • avocado
  • monterey jack cheese
Procedure:


-If you are using a rotisserie chicken make sure and get all of the meat off of the bones then throw it in the crockpot using a full box of chicken broth ( I use low sodium organic chicken broth or stock and use 3/4 of the box) If you are using chicken breasts that are raw I suggest cooking the chicken breasts first and then shredding them later after everything is cooked before dumping the rest of the ingredients in the pot.

  • place cooked chicken, broth, yellow onion, poblano, green chillies, and all of the white beans in the crockpot. Season generously and cook on low for about eight hours. If you did not use rotisserie chicken now you can shred the chicken breasts. Add the fresh cilantro thirty minutes before the soup is done. Serve with shredded Monterrrey Jack cheese, sour cream, and chopped avocado. Enjoy!!!

This would be fabulous over my Cornbread Casserole. The recipe for Callie's Cornbread Casserole can be found HERE










No comments:

Post a Comment