Wednesday, January 28, 2015

FISH A LA MEXICANA



Fish A La Mexicana


This supper is a simple staple in the Keeshan household. My dad loves to take different salsas, and try cooking them with different meats. This turned out to be a hit! My dad is the main reason I love cooking. I love to sit in the kitchen while he tells me in detail the reasons " Why you brown meat before cooking", and which spices to use on which dishes. I have learned a lot from him and will continue to do so in all of my cooking endeavors. This dish is simple because it requires only a few ingredients AND you can swap out the meats for a different spin. I used Halibut for ours but I have also used shrimp, tilapia, and chicken...all tasty!!! My favorite is shrimp and halibut though... :)

Shopping List

two eight oz filets of fish of choice or 1 1/2 lb shrimp deveined
four garlic gloves diced and minced
1/2 cup of dry white wine
1/2 cup butter ( eye ball if you want more)
olive oil
One jar of CHUNKY salsa- we use our Ranch Foreman Felix's salsa that he makes specifically for our family...maybe one day they will be brave enough to brand it and sell it and then we all can have some!!!! :)
** chunky means that it is not a soupy salsa...the veggies are clear and present!!! If you cannot find a jar of salsa like this then I would make my own-recipe below. 
1/2 medium yellow onion chopped and diced
one box instant white rice ( optional is brown)


Procedure

Over medium high heat cook your garlic and onion in some butter and a little olive oil. Stir until nice and fragrant and onions are almost clear. Add your wine and deglaze the pan ( cook down)
Salt and pepper your fish or use whatever seasoning you prefer and brown each side for one minute a piece. Once fish is browned, turn the heat down low and add the chunky salsa and simmer for 10 minutes.
Once fish is cooked and flaky immediately serve over white rice.
I served ours with some yummy asparagus!!! It was great!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment