Monday, April 7, 2014

Hometown Happenings and a Monday Beet Salad.



Happy Monday!! I wish I were saying Happy Friday.. these weeks are starting to run together. I am so happy that we had the opportunity to race home just for a night to see family and celebrate two birthdays that are very special to me. My D.G's and my bestie Lindie's 25th birthday! We ate some yummy Mexican food and had so much fun with friends. I always enjoy a quick trip home..and for lunch today I have a yummy beet salad on the menu!! Those who might be reading this are probably trying not to gag at the sight of the word Beet. Let me explain.. beets are SUCH a nutritious food selection and if seasoned with the right spices and paired with the correct flavors they can actually be quite enjoyable! I love fresh beets from the ranch but our farmer Felix didn't have any for us so I bought some at the grocery store in the produce section.

to prepare beets you need to:

soak them and scrub them
cut off the tops and then peel them with a vegetable peeler
quarter them into bite sized cubes
lay them evenly on a baking sheet
drizzle with EVOO
sea salt/pepper
fresh rosemary
fresh thyme
cook at 400 degrees for 40 minutes

** BEETS are very messy!! the beautiful crimson juice will stain your hands and while peeling so don't wear white pants :)!

for the salad:

fresh arugula lettuce
roasted pecan halves ( you can buy roasted or do it yourself)
a log of goat cheese or crumbled
a light and fresh vinaigrette of your choice

set your lettuce on a plate then top with the roasted pecans, crumbled goat cheese, and when finished, add the beets. Pour your favorite vinaigrette over this salad and enjoy!

Isn't it pretty?! The tangy goat cheese marries so well with the bitter beets. Try it its not terrible!
 
 
Some pictures from over the weekend :)
 
 
A pedi with mama!

 
and the Birthday Girl!

 
My hot date!

 
Happy 25th Birthday diff!!

 
Love at its finest :)

 
me with my stripe obsession coming from three different angles!

 




No comments:

Post a Comment