Sunday, March 19, 2017

One Pot Broccoli Chicken & Cheese Rice




Happy Sunday!!!!

This weekend has been so much fun..we went to a big fun birthday party, spent time with my parents, went to church, and I got a whole lot of exercise in.. but real life I am EXHAUSTED! Brandon has been gone all weekend to his annual Green Beer Open golf tournament and I opted to stay behind mostly because I didn’t feel like hauling my daycare down to Conroe :) I know you moms feel me on that. Sometimes when Brandon is away on a work trip or a golf/hunting trip I secretly enjoy just the special Mommy/Jaxie memories. I did a few things this weekend that were special and I really enjoyed the simplicity of the weekend. 

 I knew that after today, which was quite eventful I might add, I would need something easy to stick in the oven and just eat.. something that could be made into leftovers and possibly a lunch and dinner for the baby. Did I mention my dog ate an entire batch of chocolate chip cookies?? Yes friends, I spent my sunday evening inducing my dog to vomit the chocolate chip cookies that he inhaled while I took one second to pee. *sigh*

So now the dog is in his kennel, the baby is fast asleep, and I am showered ( FINALLY!) and in my PJs. I am too tired to even have a glass of wine.. yeah I’m THAT tired! 

Here is my fabulous dinner that I know some of you tired mamas need on your menu this week!


Shopping List:

4 bone in chicken thighs -skin on

one small onion - chopped and set aside

one head of broccoli chopped into florets

1 1/2 cup of rice ( I used organic brown rice)

Freshly grated yellow cheddar cheese ( or buy the bagged cheddar if you like)

3 1/2 cups chicken broth 

salt and pepper

olive oil


Procedure: Preheat Oven 375

Start by throwing your broccoli in a deep skillet ( preferably with a lid)  with about 1/2 cup of water. Turn to medium high heat and place a lid on top. Cook for five minutes until tender. 

Drain and set aside. 

Next salt and pepper your chicken to taste, then add some oil in the pan and sear the chicken on both sides until browned - about 6-7 minutes on each side. 

Remove the chicken and add your onions. Cook until translucent and then add your rice. Cook your rice with the onions for about one minute then add the chicken back in the pot and pour in the chicken stock. 

Place the lid on top and pop it in the oven and cook for 35 minutes. 

Remove the chicken once again and add the broccoli in with the rice along with the shredded cheddar. Place back in the oven for five minutes until the cheese is good and melted. 

Serve along side the chicken! SO SIMPLE!





Here is a picture of my sweet pea because he looks beyond cute in his new jammies:) 











No comments:

Post a Comment