Thursday, March 13, 2014

Chicken and Sausage Etouffe'

Everyone from the south loves some good ole' Louisiana style cookin' every once in a while. I hope! Especially when this weather is as crazy as it has been.. hot one day..freezing the next. I just get a craving for something hearty and good for my soul :) For some people its fast food, for others its soup, but when you just feel like you need a dish that will instantly make you feel warm and fuzzy and happy.. this is the one. I collect cook books..and read them front to back like novels. Yes that may sound weird but when I started cooking at the age of 18 I started asking for cook books. At first my mom and grandma started me out with easy ones like the Gooseberry patch series. This has been by far the best cook book EVER. Go and get one now. Run. I also enjoy Southern Living and Rachael Ray. UM YUMMO! For this recipe you will need:

Disclaimer: For this recipe it asks you to cook the chicken while you are making the recipe..um I AIN'T GOT TIME FOR DAT! One simple trick I use all the time is putting my chicken in the crock pot in the morning with a little chicken stock and spices and let it cook on low all day that way whatever recipe I have that calls for chicken.. the chicken is done and waiting on ME. Not the other way around.

yields 4-6 servings:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion chopped ** I am not a huge onion fan so I tend to buy a large onion and then only use half
1 green pepper** I used two chopped and seeded
three celery ribs chopped
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 lb smoked sausage sliced** we used axis deer sausage and cooked it on the grill first. Fabulous.
2(10 oz) cans of tomatoes with green chilies-rotel
1(6 oz) can of tomato paste
2(10 0z) cans of cream of mushroom soup
salt/pepper
Cajun all seasoning


Preparation:

Heat oil in a large dutch oven and add the celery, onions, and peppers. Cook them until soft and juices run clear. Then add your chicken( remember you were all smart girls who cooked ahead of time and used that fabulous crock pot!!!) after you have added your chicken you can start adding your cans of tomatoes and chilies, tomato paste, and cream of mushroom soups. Finally add your already cooked or smoked sausage. let this mixture simmer until the mushroom soup is not so pasty and more soupy..also season it up a little to your taste. We love spicy over here so we add pepper and Cajun all seasoning ..a little paprika and salt.
Pour this mixture over hot cooked rice and enjoy. I got a thumbs up from my husband and BFF :):)


Hot cooked rice

No comments:

Post a Comment