Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Turkey and Sweet Potato Shepard's Pie!


I did not post any recipes last week due to the fact that I could not stop vomiting enough to pick up a spatula and cook book bleh!! TMI sorry. We have had a yucky stomach bug floating around here and it landed on me. Needless to say..you are never to old for your mom when you are sick..and Brandon is not a good mom substitute. Onto more appetizing things!!


It has been such crazy bi-polar weather here in Texas that just as I am getting all ready for my Spring recipes and outfits.. winter appears leaving me hungry for comfort food and staying in my sweats. Since we have been on a health kick here lately I decided that whatever dish I made I wanted to tweak it and add healthier substitutes. That is the beauty of cooking.. its your creation!!! I love looking at old school southern recipes that are normally super fattening and tweaking them just enough that it still tastes like the same ole' good cookin'..except healthier. Here is my twist on Shepard's Pie. You will need:

Ingredients:

four sweet potatos: peeled and cubed
one ripened banana
two lbs of turkey( you can modify and just do 1 lb..I like to cook for leftovers)
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup frozen peas
Salt and fresh ground pepper
one package brown gravy mix ( or you can make your own-I save time and do the quickie version)
4 tablespoons butter
two cups shredded sharp yellow cheese

Directions:
Pre heat oven to 425 degrees
In a deep Dutch oven cover your potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Boil them until tender and then rinse and return to the pot. Then add your banana and mash together until mixed well. Add salt and pepper and butter to your taste and even a little dash of hot sauce.

While your potatoes are boiling you can grab a skillet and pour a dash of EVOO and crumble your meat along with the onions and brown them. Once browned then add the celery, carrots, and peas mix well until the veggies are TENDER.

Once the meat mixture is done pour into a casserole dish ( I use 9 by 12 but it doesn't matter) then add the cheese on top of the meat mixture and lastly pour the potato mixture over the meat and cheese and spread smooth. Pop into the oven until the cheese has melted!
YUM AND HEALTHY!


No comments:

Post a Comment