Friday, March 21, 2014

Steak Roulade, Rosemary Sweet potatoes, and Sauteed Kale

With all the southern cooking I have been fixated on  lately I decided it was time to switch it up and lean on something a little more.. Italian :) crushed tomatoes, steak.. cheese.. more cheese.. all of this yummy goodness is tucked away inside of these amazing flank steak rolls also known as Steak Roulade. I was in the grocery store line when I saw one of my favorite magazines "food network" and as I was flipping through it I came across this amazing and EASY recipe. One word. Crockpot. Yep I was sold. I bought the magazine and went home to make this dinner. It turned out fabulous!!! For this recipe you will need:

Ingredients:

2 6 oz cans tomato paste
1 28 oz can whole San Marzano tomatoes, ( crush them with your hands)
1/2 tspn red pepper flakes
1/2 tspn sugar
1 small bunch of basil torn
1 1/2 pound flank steak- I was new to cooking a flank steak so mine actually were packaged with the label ( fajita steaks) ..basically its the same thing as a skirt steak.
kosher salt and fresh pepper
1 2/3 grated provolone cheese
2 small garlic cloves minced
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated romano cheese
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup pine nuts or chopped walnuts
1 cup fresh parsley

*** when I made this dish I did not stick to what the measurements were. When I was placing the ingredients on top of my steak I just eyeballed it to see how much would fit.. do as you please since this is your dish!!!

procedure:

combine two cups hot water and the tomato pasted in your beloved crockpot. add the crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, sugar, and basil and stir to combine. Cook on high while you prepare the meat.

lay your flank steak out on a flat surface..season the steak with salt and pep. then scatter the provolone cheese evenly over the steak, then top with garlic, breadcrumbs, romano cheese, raisins, pine nuts and parsley.

start rolling up  your steak like a jelly roll and make sure you roll it tight so the goodie doesn't fall out! secure with twin or tooth picks.

place in the slow cooker and cook on high for about seven hours!!! YUM!

For the sweet potatoes:

peel and cut your potato into rounds..
place on a baking sheet with foil
drizzle olive oil over them and add salt pepper and rosemary
cook them at 400 degrees for 30 minutes

DONE!

Sautéed Kale
Pretty simple.
Place kale in pan..drizzle olive oil salt and pepper ..little lemon juice and fresh garlic
cook down

DONE!


No comments:

Post a Comment